
I recently read two short articles from the American Library Association. One was called “Libraries: Ensuring Information Equity in the Digital Age” (Kranich, 2001) and the second was called: “President’s Message: Reaching out to the Underserved: (Hayden, 2004). Both of these articles addressed the digital divide and how libraries should play a role in keeping media access equitable. They mentioned that libraries are community recourses that should not only be responsible to provide access to information on the internet but too also teach people to sort out and find the best quality information. They also brought up the fact that The Gates Foundation is working to bring technology to Native American tribal peoples. The information age has the potential to create greater equality in accessing information but only if we make an effort to spread its technology to all people. Although this article did not directly address schools I believe libraries can play a huge role in reducing the digital divide. Especially as a resource parents can use to become more digitally literate.
In fact, I decided to research this topic because I was made aware that Citizens of Monroe County can only access the internet through a Library for a maximum for 1.5 hours a day. In such a highly digital world that seems outrageous. I can understand that all individuals should have a turn to use the internet in the Public Library, but if there is no line why should someone be kicked off without even the opportunity to come back later in the day?
The ALA
The article that you read and the article that I read are similar in that they both talk about access to technology. In the article I read it raised a good point that might also be interesting for your paper. It stated that students wished the school computer lab was open later at night and on the weekend. This way students and their parents could come to the school and use the computers. I thought this was an interesting idea as it could connect the kids, parents and teachers together. I am with you that it is crazy for them to only have 1.5 hours a day of computer access. What if the kid has a homework assignment or research to complete. I think that you are researching an excellent topic that doesn't get a lot of attention.
ReplyDelete1.5 hours a day....hmmm, I didn't no know this. Wonder how that decision and that number was selected? The ability to search is such an important skill and many students lack this ability. I also see some media specialists (librarians) lacking search skills in this digital age as well. There are all sorts of advanced search techniques and specialized databases that students have no idea how to tap.
ReplyDelete